Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Guardians of the Galaxy (2013)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:33 am 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
100 total thanks.
Say thanks

I didn't see a post up for this, so I decided to post, because I want to talk about it.

So far only issue 0.1 has been released as a kind of origin story for Peter Quill.

Spoiler: show
It's different from the original in that originally the planets had to align for Quill's birth, in this one a man actually comes and impregnates a human chick (as far as continuity, she kept her name)

Not sure how I feel about this since it's sort of confusing after The Thanos Imperative. The new Nova comic made it seem like a separate corps from the other nova corps by mentioning that they don't deal with gold buckets (the Nova corp we are used to, which included Richard Ryder), so I let that slide, but how do they explain Peter Quill suddenly returning and everything randomly starting over...

I guess we will see with the next issue, but this is the most annoying thing Marvel does, there's no continuity anymore.

:galactus:

I'm glad it's back though, I really enjoy the galactic stuff from Marvel...well, I have in the past.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2013)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

fezzdogg wrote:
Not sure how I feel about this since it's sort of confusing after The Thanos Imperative. The new Nova comic made it seem like a separate corps from the other nova corps by mentioning that they don't deal with gold buckets (the Nova corp we are used to, which included Richard Ryder), so I let that slide, but how do they explain Peter Quill suddenly returning and everything randomly starting over...

I guess we will see with the next issue, but this is the most annoying thing Marvel does, there's no continuity anymore.

:galactus:

According to interviews with Bendis & Loeb, they will be explaining what happened betwen TI #6 and NOW! at some point during the first year of the new books. Whether or not it's an acceptable explanation remains to be seen...

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I liked issue 0.1. My experience with the cosmic Marvel stuff is limited, but I've liked what I read. GotG seems like it will be good, the 0.1 issue was entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:33 pm 
Knight

256 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hope they just explain why did Quill and Thanos survive and Rider didn't that's all I wanna know.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 am 
Count

3,874 total thanks.
Say thanks

megasteel wrote:
Hope they just explain why did Quill and Thanos survive and Rider didn't that's all I wanna know.

Agreed. . And why the hell is Quill now a blonde? Not that it really matters, but even superficial changes can bother me..

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:05 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

From somebody who never read a Guardians comic I really enjoyed 0.1, great story and you can def tell how they are linking the new comic with the Marvel "movie" Universe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 am 
Knight

100 total thanks.
Say thanks

batman55555 wrote:
I liked issue 0.1. My experience with the cosmic Marvel stuff is limited, but I've liked what I read. GotG seems like it will be good, the 0.1 issue was entertaining.

You should go back and read Annihilation, Annihilation:Conquest, War of the Kings and the Thanos Imperative and all the side stories, if you liked issue 0.1 you'll love those.

Quote:
Quote:
megasteel wrote:

Agreed. . And why the hell is Quill now a blonde? Not that it really matters, but even superficial changes can bother me..

Same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:38 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I was a big, big fan of the Abnett & Lanning GotG a few years ago. So far the NOW! 0.1 issue has not really excited me particularly much, so I'll have to see if the first arc can sway me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Looks like if you want the whole story you're gonna have to digital (or at least partly digital) for this version of GotG.

EW.com wrote:
In the search for universal insight, we bring you two cosmic questions from the Marvel Universe: Will moviegoers embrace the unknown next summer when Marvel Studios delivers the eccentric Guardians of the Galaxy film? And, in the uncharted frontier of digital comics, how far can Marvel’s Infinite Comics go with its ongoing mission to find new readers?

Time will answer those shrouded mysteries, but there may be hints to both in a new release that arrives today in the Marvel digital space: Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comics, the first in a special four-issue series (written by Brian Michael Bendis and posted bi-weekly) in the Infinite format.

The Infinite format premiered last year (with Avengers vs. X-Men Infinite Comics) as a re-engineered approach to digital comics. Designed with tablet readers in mind, its nimble panel-controlling options have been generally well-reviewed and there could be a new wave of interest, scrutiny, and critique with the high-profile Guardians title, just the fourth to be available (through the Marvel Comics app) under the initiative’s banner.

The Guardians of the Galaxy also remain undefined in the public mind, and Bendis is hoping Infinite can go a long way toward changing that. Bendis (who writes the just-launched monthly comic book series featuring the Guardians) has written the Infinite series to give four Guardians – Groot, Rocket Raccoon, Drax and Gamora — each a turn in the solo spotlight.

Bendis is writing the ongoing Guardians of the Galaxy comic book series as a four-piece preamble devoted to each of their respective back-stories. “Each one is sort of a prologue to the very first issue that lets the readers know who these characters are and what their individual goals are outside of the team. What makes Gamora tick? What secret is rocket raccoon hiding? What cost comes from being one of the galaxies most famous warriors like Drax the Destroyer?”

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:27 pm 
Knight

100 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ugh, those digital comics are awful. I tried to read the AxX one and it just annoyed me. I fortunately know the back stories I want to know.(unless of course they're going to reboot them).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:38 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

So Steve McNiven only manages to get 4 issues done before needing a break as Sara Pichelli is the artist for the new arc starting in #4. Anybody have 4 issues in the sweep?

Honestly feeling less and less bad about skipping this series as every day goes by.

Axel Alonso, Marvel Editor in Chief wrote:
Brian [Bendis] is writing "Guardians" because he's uniquely qualified to inject the characters with the depth of personality that's going to make them household names. And Sara [Pichelli] enjoys a unique chemistry with Brian -- check out her character work and her storytelling on "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man" and tell me I’m wrong -- so pairing them up on this series was a no-brainer. We are fully committed to make the "Guardians" live up to their reputation as "Tomorrow’s Avengers."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:51 am 
Knight

100 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:
So Steve McNiven only manages to get 4 issues done before needing a break as Sara Pichelli is the artist for the new arc starting in #4. Anybody have 4 issues in the sweep?

Honestly feeling less and less bad about skipping this series as every day goes by.

Can't say I blame you. I guess Marvel is over making quality comics and just sticking to making decent movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well, at least it shows why Iron Man now has a sun on his chest. Because that's Quill's estranged father's alien house symbol! Because that totally is stupid.

McNiven had the first issue drawn way back when that Point One issue came out. So, September? How slow is he?! I thought this title would have been out a while ago. Invincible Iron Man finished with Stark heading into space - Iron Man #1 had one panel saying "So how was space?". I've been wondering that for months now.

Despite the now-blonde now-half-alien-royalty Star Lord being needlessly tragic, I wish this title luck. Because eventually someone else will take over - and we might get a Cosmic event too! Abnett & Lanning's events were great...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

acelister wrote:
and we might get a Cosmic event too!

Be careful what you wish for - going by previous interviews, the next event GotG will be involved in is a GotG/Nova/UXM crossover.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:41 pm 
Knight

30 total thanks.
Say thanks

1. I didn't like the revamp of starlord..making him half-alien.. I liked that he was pretty normal..

2. I really disliked how the guardians now "guard" earth because it's SOOOO important.. I really loved how the old guardians had nothing to do with earth, protected the galaxie, and showed us all the interesting things that happen in the wider marvel universe, where some events - gasp - did NOT revolve around earth..

The writing was fine, if this was a new title it would be ok, but reading this after DnA.. is disappointing..