Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Do we know why Odinson is unworthy?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:04 pm 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
563 total thanks.
Say thanks

I mean... It's been almost two years, and we're still unclear on what Nick Fury whispered to Thor?

Okay, they needed a plot device to bring in All-New Thor, but have we not been told because they don't have a clue? I don't want Odinson back as Thor, but I do want to have all of the information...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:43 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

I was just thinking this the other day. I'm hoping that something comes out soon regarding what was said to him. I thought the powers that be were going to launch an Odinson book, well kinda hoped they would. But instead the big guy seems to have just disappeared entirely.

I would assume he will become worthy again in due course, he is destined to be King Thor eventually. I suppose the future isn't set in stone, especially after Secret Wars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:51 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yes ongoing mystery. The story of the consequences has been terrific. I hope the big reveal, whenever it comes, is up to the same standard.

I guess the interesting question is whether the original writer had something in mind or wrote it for the ongoing story leaving the answer to be figured out later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:08 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

I get the feeling it was left to be a problem for someone else to deal with. I really like Thor at the moment, but think there is definitely room to have Odinson, either as a Thor guest again, a stand alone or even just on one of the Avengers teams.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:45 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

stile86 wrote:
I guess the interesting question is whether the original writer had something in mind or wrote it for the ongoing story leaving the answer to be figured out later.

Exactly the same with bringing the original X-Men into the present. "It's a great story hook! And someone else can figure out if they ever go back. Whatever."

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:37 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

We're gonna find out soon...FINALLY!!!! :thor:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:44 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

We didn't have to wait this long to find out who Red Hulk was...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Do we know why Odinson is unworthy?
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:17 pm 
Squire

11 total thanks.
Say thanks

Didn't see any answer for this so this is what happened:

From Newsarama.com
{Spoilers ahead for The Unworthy Thor #5.

After fighting his way across the abandoned Asgard, now conquered by the lieutenants of the powerful villain Thanos, Odinson finally reaches the Mjolnir of the Thor of the Ultimate Universe, an alternate reality where many of Marvel’s heroes had counterparts with unique twists, but which was destroyed in 2015’s Secret Wars. Grasping the hammer, Odinson feels the power coursing through it, but finally decides not to pick it up, instead vowing to guard it from anyone who comes to claim it.

While Thanos berates his minions for failing to seize the hammer, Hela, the ruler of the Asgardian underworld, arrives to court an alliance with Thanos – and possibly even a romantic connection with Thanos, who once fell in love with Death itself. The forging of this alliance is interspersed with scenes of Odinson discussing Ultimate Mjolnir, and his own unworthiness, with his old friend and ally Beta Ray Bill.

Bill asks if Odinson felt worthy enough to lift the hammer before choosing not to, to which Odison replies, “No god is worthy,” and reveals Fury’s words.

”Gorr was right.”

That’s a pretty simple sentence to bring a god to his knees, but longtime readers of Jason Aaron’s Thor saga know what it means. Gorr was the first villain of Aaron’s run, a monster given the moniker “the God Butcher.” The last survivor of a race that could have been saved by the gods, but were instead allowed to lose their homeworld, Gorr seized a powerful ancient weapon and used it to kill many gods from across the Marvel Universe, eventually setting his sights on Thor.

Fury’s words to Thor were enough to make him doubt himself, to allow himself to consider, just for a moment, that Gorr’s belief that the gods do more harm than good to be true. And that idea - self-doubt - was enough to lose his hammer.

As for what comes next, the story will continue in The Mighty Thor, with the recently released solicitation for June’s #20 showing an entirely different Thor – possibly the character identified as the “War Thor” in Unworthy Thor #5 - wielding Ultimate Mjolnir.}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:00 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Thanks for the link!

Absolutely idiotic. The biggest thing that happened in Original Sin was to a character who didn't have an event issue, and is tied to the first storyarc of a 25 issue series nobody but Jason Aaron remembers...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well it kind of worked with me, acelister. I had first dropped into the Thor comics when lady Thor first turned up, just to see what was going on, and I was very impressed with the writing. The stories that were being told, along with the Loki title, made me want to go back to the start of Jason's run because he is writing all of it as one huge long saga. the characterisation and the ongoing cohesiveness really is excellent.

Then I became busy with other things and didn't have all the back issues anyway so I forgot about it, until this thread and the answer from airweasal made me read all the Unworthy Thor issues to date before I read his spoilers. It really is a terrific story and now, having picked up all the back issues I am determined to read through the whole thing. It really is the most interesting tale I have seen told about Thor for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:52 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

The answer to this ended up being a little anti-climactic.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:57 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

XMenIsBest wrote:
The answer to this ended up being a little anti-climactic.

Boy did it ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:54 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm not so sure about that. It actually redefined how the Hammer worked.
No longer was it only usable by someone who was worthy.
Now it is only useable by someone who (in their own mind at least) KNOWS they are worthy.
Still I am not sure this fits with Lady Thor. I somehow doubt she knew she was worthy. the early issues are filled with her own astonishment that she is considered worthy.
So it seems there is an ongoing discussion investigation of what it means to be "worthy".

We knew only a few words were said to Odinson that resulted in him not being worthy, so the answer had to be something that affected how he saw himself.
Anything that makes you think a bit isn't a letdown.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:29 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Did they ever say what was whispered? always wondered about that

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:14 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

“Gorr was right.”

Gorr was one of Thor's recent antagonists, his purpose was to destroy all so-called gods, because he believed that the universe would be better without them, Odinson seems to share his opinion, doubting his self-worth both as a hero and god, it made him unfit in the "eyes" of Mjolnir