Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DC/Warner Bros Announce Their Upcoming Films
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
0 total thanks.
Say thanks

DC/Warner Bros have finally revealed the line-up of their cinematic universe plans this month:

o “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
o “Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
o “Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)
o “Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)
o “The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)
o “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)
o “Shazam” (2019)
o “Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
o “Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
o “Green Lantern” (2020)

Which they also confirmed Jason Momoa as Aquaman & Ezra Miller as The Flash (but no news as to which version of Flash this is) & a reboot of Green Lantern.

This is the new (cinematic) Flash:

As well as all the above films, we are also getting standalone Batman & Superman films.

And, although not announced during this press release, Neil Gaiman has revealed that the reason the planned Sandman film wasn't mentioned is that that is a Vertigo film not DC - and there is going to be some kind of Vertigo announcement soon. Maybe including Constantine & Swamp Thing too?? Or is that just wishful thinking?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:49 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Some seemingly random casting rumours for the Suicide Squad movie are doing the rounds.

So far Ryan Gosling, Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Margot Robbie, Jesse Eisenberg and Cara Delevingne have been mentioned by various sources.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:08 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ryan Gosling I could see - especially as Deadshot.

Both Cara Delevingne & Margot Robbie have been mentioned as Harley - either one look the part, but I can't say I have seen anything either has been in (apart from Robbie in Neighbours - but I can't remember her as I only watch it while the better half has it on so I am actually reading comics ;) )

And Tom Hardy is a beast of an actor so I am happy to see him in anything.

It would really depend on which version of the Squad they went with, however as everything else in the DCU seems to be based on the New 52 universe it would make sense that it would follow that line-up somewhat.

So obviously (maybe ;) )we would have Harley & Deadshot. If the rumours of Will Smith turn out to be true, then (using the newest iteration of the team) that could suggest Black Manta - which would also make sense as we are getting the Aquaman movie now.

I don't think they could include the Jokers Daughter character, as that just wouldn't make sense without any previous mention of the Joker in the new DCCU, however Deathstroke could work, especially as people will be more familiar with the character due to Arrow (yes, I know they are not connected) and Tom Hardy would make a beast of a Deathstroke!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:32 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

And another one to throw in the Suicide Squad mix - apparently Jared Leto is being tapped up to play the Joker.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:34 am 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ezra Miller looks more like Ryan Choi's Atom (which could be a good movie).
But ever since Batffleck I haven't been able to suppress being overly critical of their casting choices. All of them. :neutral:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:01 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Do folks dislike Affleck as Batman because of his turn as Daredevil? Is it because Bale was so beloved in the role? A little of Column A and a little of Column B? I'm certain there are some folks who just don't like his acting, but that has improved greatly over the years by any objective measure. I'm more interested in the opinions of those who don't "hate" him as a person/actor. Heck, there are plenty of people who think the Nolan Batman films succeeded in spite of Bale at times so let's leave those opinions at the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:59 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

On the Batffleck thing, I think there is still a big hangover from Daredevil (which wasn't actually that bad after giving it a rewatch). I think he's a perfectly fine actor (enjoyed his more recent performances eg. Argo, The Town, State of Play).

~

And some more DC rumour mongering:

Suicide Squad again - Jai Courtney is in discussions to appear as one of the main characters

Wonder Woman may have a director in Michelle MacLaren

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: DC/Warner Bros Announce Their Upcoming Films
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:29 am 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

I know about MacLaren from Breaking Bad and The X-Files, she also directed a few episodes for Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead too, could be good

all I know about Courtney is that he played Varro in Spartacus, he is also going to portray Kyle Reese in the upcoming Terminator flick. he's been confirmed to play Deadshot

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:15 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

docbronze wrote:
Heck, there are plenty of people who think the Nolan Batman films succeeded in spite of Bale at times so let's leave those opinions at the door.

Um, okay. So if I don't agree with you I should just say nothing? What would that accomplish? You'd just hear endless echoing of your own thoughts. I totally understand if you're great with Batffleck, or WonderGal. I'm not.
I'm a DC fan and I keep seeing Marvel making great casting decisions. "Getting all the good ones" you could say. Meanwhile my favorite characters are getting a rather poor shake of things before they even have a chance.
Iron Man, Captain America, Thor ... Wolverine!!! All getting great movies done by awesome talent.
All are also characters I don't spend any time following.
So pardon me for having higher expectations for the characters I do care about.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:43 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

CharlieRock wrote:
docbronze wrote:
Heck, there are plenty of people who think the Nolan Batman films succeeded in spite of Bale at times so let's leave those opinions at the door.

Um, okay. So if I don't agree with you I should just say nothing? What would that accomplish? You'd just hear endless echoing of your own thoughts. I totally understand if you're great with Batffleck, or WonderGal. I'm not.
I'm a DC fan and I keep seeing Marvel making great casting decisions. "Getting all the good ones" you could say. Meanwhile my favorite characters are getting a rather poor shake of things before they even have a chance.
Iron Man, Captain America, Thor ... Wolverine!!! All getting great movies done by awesome talent.
Whoa. I am surprised you, or anyone else, found a way to take offense from my question, but let me say that certainly none was intended. What I was trying to avoid were rather bland answers with no discussable point. If you love or hate an actor, chances are you are excited or nonplussed, respectively, to see them in a cherished role and, as such, are unlikely to have a more nuanced view ahead of seeing the finished product. What I wanted to avoid was a string of "I love/hate Ben Affleck so I think he'll be God's gift/a steaming pile as Batman." It seems to me that, aside from misunderstanding my query, you are not enthusiastic about the Affleck as Batman casting choice (apologies if I have, in turn, misunderstood you). If correct, you are exactly who I was asking the question of, but what I was hoping to engender was a response indicating why you don't like the choice. Well, aside from, "he stinks." Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:49 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

That kinda escalated quickly (well as quickly as things get around here nowadays, sigh, oh well).

I can def. get behind the choices of Cavill & Affleck, have to pass on Gadot (not seen her in anything).
Ezra Miller and Ray Fisher? Never heard of them, more passes.
Mamoa could be cool as a more brutal take on Aquaman.

Based on his performance in The Losers I'd have liked to see Chris Evans as Green Lantern but that's never gonna happen now.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:27 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

docbronze wrote:
CharlieRock wrote:
docbronze wrote:

Whoa. I am surprised you, or anyone else, found a way to take offense from my question, but let me say that certainly none was intended. What I was trying to avoid were rather bland answers with no discussable point. If you love or hate an actor, chances are you are excited or nonplussed, respectively, to see them in a cherished role and, as such, are unlikely to have a more nuanced view ahead of seeing the finished product. What I wanted to avoid was a string of "I love/hate Ben Affleck so I think he'll be God's gift/a steaming pile as Batman." It seems to me that, aside from misunderstanding my query, you are not enthusiastic about the Affleck as Batman casting choice (apologies if I have, in turn, misunderstood you). If correct, you are exactly who I was asking the question of, but what I was hoping to engender was a response indicating why you don't like the choice. Well, aside from, "he stinks." Cheers!

What I don't like about Affleck as Batman:
He doesn't seem tough. Even in the movie where he was a bank robber all I could think about his acting was "Lookit this guy trying to be hard." He always seems like he is moments away from turning into Ross from Friends. All whiney and nebbish. Acting Tough is something that doesn't translate well into written text so let me try a couple examples:
Charles Bronson, any movie he was in. Even in the Santa Claus letter one he seemed like a tough guy playing an emotional role.
Jason Stathem, looks like he can chew nails for fun just standing there.

Michael Keaton did a passable job but to me when he was Batman it was more like that scene where Kim Basinger just walked right by him without noticing too much. He made the Bruce Wayne side blend in which helped sell the 'secret identity' thing. Surely Batman couldn't be this quiet guy standing by the corner. But with the mask on he was pretty tough.
Ben just looks like he is about to cry with the mask on. Like someone took the last cookie and he doesn't know what to do now.

Batman has two sides and where Keaton made Wayne virtually disappear with his quiet demeanor and Christian Bale made him look like a partying maniac I don't think Affleck can handle either side well. I'm afraid his Bruce Wayne is going to be a runaway male underwear model and his Batman needs a hug.

Gal Gadot doesn't have the Tough thing going on either. She is seriously too fashion model for it. Even her pictures they hurried up and put on the internet of her in the military (some lame attempt to qualify her as tough offscreen) looks like someone went out and hired a model to pose some fatigues. And her 'action scenes' in F&F were a joke. She may BE tough, but she doesn't SEEM tough and that is what you try to sell as Wonder Woman. This is just another Hollywood misfire at casting action women.

P.S. I wasn't offended I just don't want to hear people dismiss an opinion of Affleck because they "didn't give him a chance" or "hate him". I'm one of the ones Hollywood is trying to sell to, and I don't think he can act Tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:52 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Now that was the kind of discourse I was looking for! Thanks for such a detailed response. I love the line, "I'm afraid his Bruce Wayne is going to be a runaway male underwear model and his Batman needs a hug." Hilarious. I'm actually totally with you on the casting choices insofar as I wish they picked rougher "genre-film" actors like Bronson or Statham (or Bronson's current day analog, Liam Neeson). The problem is that there are only a handful, tops, of those genre actors that the studios deem bankable and they are borderline overused. As such, I've resigned myself to choices of either A list celebrity or virtual nobody. The Momoa casting surprises me (but I kind of like it) because his movies have flopped a bit and he can be a pretty stiff actor. Then again, that's how I felt about Hemsworth and the Thor movies kill it at the box office even if I find them utterly forgettable. I would love to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan get one of these properties. He can be charismatic and imposing, but I fear he is neither young enough nor famous enough to get a long look from a studio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:46 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Interestingly enough, I'm sure I saw some distant set pics of the Batman origin (hopefully only going to be used in a brief flashback!) that looked like Jeffrey Dean Morgan is going to be playing Henry Wayne.

And while I have severe doubts over Gal Gadot (only ever seen her in F&F V) I think Affleck is going to deliver - especially if his performance in Gone Girl is anything to go on.

And Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo! (Sorry , sorry - couldn't resist)

In other DC film news, Michelle MacLaren has been confirmed as director of the Wonder Woman film. She has previously directed episodes of Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead & Game of Thrones.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:23 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

dragonwing wrote:
Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!

Interesting news about JDM, thanks. At least he's getting some run somewhere.