Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DC comics Destroys Marvel in August 2016 Marketshare
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:53 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
955 total thanks.
Say thanks

The numbers are out for August 2016, and it was more profound than that in July. These are the details:

Quote:
Marvel had almost a third more comics on sale in August than DC Comics. 93 comics to DC’s 75.

Yet DC Comics destroyed Marvel Comics on marketshare through August across the board, and placed 9 titles in the top 10.

Harley Quinn #1 took the no 1 spot, beating out All-Star Batman #1 and Suicide Squad #1 with more issues of Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Batman, Justice League and Supergirl taking up the rest of the top ten.

It took Amazing Spider-Man #16, kicking off their Dead No More event to get Marvel into the Top Ten. Everything else Marvel published was beaten by four comics starring Harley Quinn – and one by Supergirl.

Which yes, sounds insane. This is both the power of DC Rebirth, but also the lack of reverberation in the market from the poorly performing Civil War II crossover, Star Wars sales slipping and the Inhumans storylines having very little traction.

I don’t think it’s going to be much different for September’s figures. And will take until October before Marvel has a chance to turn the tanker around with the launch of Champions #1, and the sale of hundreds of thousands of copies to Scholastic Book Fairs…

Just to remind you in April , DC Comics had a dollar share of 25.82% and a sales share of 25.13%.

In May, that rose slightly to 26.45% and sales share of 26.34%.

In June, that jumped to 29.93% and 31.69%.

July, that was 35.36% and 40.96%

Well, in August, DC Comics owns 39.27% and 44.59%. In four months that is a move of almost 20 percentage points, a remarkable change.

While Marvel Comics, who back in April had a dollar share of 42.98% and sales share of 47.87% have seen that crash and burn to 30.78% and 32.11% a fall of 12 to 15 points.

However, it’s not all bad news for Marvel as overall sales for August 2016 were up over 40% based on those in August 2015. So, even though their marketshare fell lower and faster than any time since Image Comics launched, their sales will still be pretty good.

Indeed Diamond Comic Distributors reports they topped ten million non-promotional comic books shipped during the month for the first time in nearly twenty years, with comic shops purchasing 10.26 million comic books in August. That proviso excludes Free Comic Book Day titles and the like.

July’s overall direct market comics sales were pretty good, in August they were up 14.13% in dollars spent. Whtaat this all means is that, despite the year’s massive drop in sales at the beginning of 2016, the past few months have made up for it. And, as it stands, 2016 is currently ahead of 2015 at this stage in the year, by 2.71% in dollars.

Hopefully this might mean the other publishers aren’t suffering as much from the Big Two Wars. Image Comics’ best selling title in August wasThe Walking Dead #157 at #13. IDW Publishing’s TMNT Universe #1 was theirs #85. And Dark Horse’s Briggs Land #1 was at #127.

TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS
RANK DESCRIPTION PRICE ITEM CODE VENDOR
1 HARLEY QUINN #1 [*] $2.99 JUN160218 DC
2 ALL-STAR BATMAN #1 [*] $4.99 JUN160203 DC
3 SUICIDE SQUAD #1 [*] $2.99 JUN160230 DC
4 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #16 $3.99 JUN160844 MAR
5 SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH #1 [*] $2.99 JUN160228 DC
6 BATMAN #4 [*] $2.99 JUN160242 DC
7 BATMAN #5 [*] $2.99 JUN160244 DC
8 JUSTICE LEAGUE #2 [*] $2.99 JUN160266 DC
9 HARLEY QUINN #2 [*] $2.99 JUN160220 DC
10 SUPERGIRL REBIRTH #1 [*] $2.99 JUN160226 DC

Quote:

Comics Circulation Just Hit a 20-Year High
The comics industry has undergone a pretty radical turnaround in the past three years. After a massive, speculator-bubble-induced sales spike in the early 1990s, the comics market crashed and publishers spent more than a decade in the wilderness, struggling to find their way again. But due to momentum that’s hard to pin down but is likely owed to the increasing dominance of comics adaptations at the box office, companies have found their footing — and a wider readership — again. In fact, circulation just hit its highest level in 20 years.

According to the industry’s leading sales analyst, John Jackson Miller of Comichron, the monopolistic comics distributor Diamond shipped 10.26 million copies of comic books and graphic novels to comic-book shops in August. That’s the biggest distribution month since December of 1996. What’s more, DC Comics had a 44.59 percent share in that circulation, which is remarkable because the company lagged behind eternal rival Marvel for nearly five years before clobbering the latter in July. DC's ascendance continues, and they had the most-ordered comic of August with the first issue of their Harley Quinn reboot.

Unfortunately, there’s no nationwide measure of individual comics sales, so we can’t know how much the orders translated into actual readership, but retailer orders are a decent barometer of the industry’s health, and this is quite healthy news, indeed.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:48 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Go DC!

i imagine the boost is all due to Rebirth which is looking pretty good so far. It will be interesting to see how long they can maintain the momentum. I am enjoying the superman, batman and justice league titles so far.

Thanks for posting all this news Idris. Much appreciated. I would also be interested to see your sources if you could mention that as well. Thanks.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:54 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

stile86 wrote:
Go DC!

i imagine the boost is all due to Rebirth which is looking pretty good so far. It will be interesting to see how long they can maintain the momentum. I am enjoying the superman, batman and justice league titles so far.

Thanks for posting all this news Idris. Much appreciated. I would also be interested to see your sources if you could mention that as well. Thanks.

I think simply put, DC Comics is producing superior titles than those produced by Marvel since the start of Rebirth. In comparison, Marvel released their Civil War II, which in my opinion an inferior event compared to Rebirth. What I liked most about DC is their careful selection of writers and artists for this relaunch. And if you looked at Civil War II and all its spin-offs, you will notice immediately the poor quality of writing and art.

As for the sources of the news, I will make sure they will be mentioned with each new post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:57 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

Loved this commentary from bleedingcool.com regarding the August sale numbers:

Quote:

So how, when Marvel Comics have a third more comic books than DC Comics in August, could DC Comics dominate sales so much? Here’s how – by Marvel only having one book in the top ten. Two books in the top twenty. Three books in the top thirty. Seven books in the top forty. And nine books in the top fifty.

Hellblazer beats Deadpool. Wonder Woman beats Star Wars. Batgirl beats Darth Vader.

Oh and while we are at it, Aquaman – and even Saga – beats every X-Men comic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:23 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah that is a telling comment isn't it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:25 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

O h and thanks for the source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:32 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

It's a bit bonkers I must say. I love both, but probably do read Marvel a bit more than DC these days. I, like most, have been pulled back in by the Rebirth idea. Not sure exactly what I make of the premise :wink: But loving the Flash and the return (finally) of Wally West! I really don't know what is going on with Superman! or Lois Lane(s), Supermen/Superwomen?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 pm 
Duke

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

Quote:

So how, when Marvel Comics have a third more comic books than DC Comics in August, could DC Comics dominate sales so much? Here’s how – by Marvel only having one book in the top ten. Two books in the top twenty. Three books in the top thirty. Seven books in the top forty. And nine books in the top fifty.

Hellblazer beats Deadpool. Wonder Woman beats Star Wars. Batgirl beats Darth Vader.

Oh and while we are at it, Aquaman – and even Saga – beats every X-Men comic.

I'm not sure why Rich Johnston thinks Marvel had a third more comics than DC when it was actually slightly less than a quarter more. It'll be interesting to see how the figures compare when DC's figures have settled down after the post-reboot spike. I hope this doesn't lead to both companies resorting to more frequent rebooting and renumbering and more variant covers, but I suspect it might.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:27 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

mrpinktoo wrote:
It's a bit bonkers I must say. I love both, but probably do read Marvel a bit more than DC these days. I, like most, have been pulled back in by the Rebirth idea. Not sure exactly what I make of the premise :wink: But loving the Flash and the return (finally) of Wally West! I really don't know what is going on with Superman! or Lois Lane(s), Supermen/Superwomen?

The Superman line of books is quite alright at the moment, that is story wise. Even when there are vast number of storylines going at the same time, the stories are highly entertaining. As for the art, its a top notch in all of the Rebirth titles (which is essential).

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:00 pm 
Knight

955 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lee Kirby Oswald wrote:

I'm not sure why Rich Johnston thinks Marvel had a third more comics than DC when it was actually slightly less than a quarter more. It'll be interesting to see how the figures compare when DC's figures have settled down after the post-reboot spike. I hope this doesn't lead to both companies resorting to more frequent rebooting and renumbering and more variant covers, but I suspect it might.

I think the big two will do everything they can to boost sales. The renumbering will be Marvel's next move in the coming few months.

What I liked most about the strategy DC's Rebirth "relaunch" is the gradual release of the titles, unlike what they did during the New 52. Also, DC is releasing new high profile titles on average of 3-tltles a month in the format of miniseries or prestige format. Which I believe keeps the momentum going for the rebirth titles. Also, not to mention the price drop of DC titles as compared to Marvel, and the twice a month release of high profile titles, and the return-ability of unsold titles by comic stores.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:15 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

mrpinktoo wrote:

Not sure if you are asking about the background behind or just expressing interest in where the plots are going to go.

For background, during the big crossover Convergence series last year (which had a few interesting stories but was mostly a dud - Dan Jurgens is very much hit and miss as a writer) the New 52 universe met up with cities saved from former realities by an uber-Brainiac. One of those appeared to be the post-crisis Metropolis where Superman and Lois Lane had married. During the event they gave birth to a son. We later learnt that they had ended up back on the New52 earth hiding out as Clark and Lois White for the past 5+ years. Then in the last storyline across the Superman titles, the new52 Superman died - for real apparently - finishing in a big energy burst. Pretty good storyline actually, well handled. The post crisis- Superman turned up in the last issues to help save the day and was asked by the New52 S to carry on for him. Lois and Lana were both close to the expiring Superman and the blast has apparently given them (temporary?) super powers, Lois similar to classic Superman and Lana reminiscent of the electrical Superman Blue of the 90s. Meanwhile the last Justice league story in New52 had the League tussling with Darkseid and the New Gods, and Lex Luthor (then a hero (?) and part of the JL) gaining an improved super suit (and powers?) from Apocalypse.

So we now have a new classic Superman (that the rest of the Rebirth/New52 universe don't know and don't trust yet) married to a Lois and with a son (about 6-8?) whose super powers are just emerging, a Lex Luthor acting semi-heroically in Metropolis and claiming the Superman mantle supposedly in honour of the dead Superman but with an emphasis on being human not alien, a new Chinese Superman because of the Chinese government trying to create their own super team (not all that likeable as a character on purpose), and the New 52 Lois Lane (who was best friends with Clark Kent/Superman but not romantically involved) and Lana Lang (who has been in a relationship with Steel) taking on the Superwomen roles.

If you were just commenting on the interesting storylines then I agree, some of the best Superman stories for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:00 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ahh, I must have got the wrong end of the stick somehow. Convergence hit around the time that life got quite busy for me and as I had grown a little disillusioned with the New 52 I only had time for my Marvel books. I still got hold of the main series, but I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I was aware of the premise of that and how it was bringing back some of the beloved characters of the pre Flashpoint era, but thought I could put it off and comeback to it later. Anyway, I digress.

I'd got it into my head that there was currently... Superman in the JL, and older inactive Superman (married to Lois with son, who I assume will become Superbly at some point), Chinese Superman, SuperLex and the two Superwomen.

Looks like I have quite a bit of catching up to, I'm not a big fan of being out of the loop as far as storylines go. Thanks for the quick recap stile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:33 am 
Merchant

15 total thanks.
Say thanks

Totally forgot to mention the other major character in the Rebirth Superman comics, Clark Kent.

At the same time that a new Superman has appeared (and two new Superwomen) Clark Kent has reappeared, a separate character from the pre-Flashpoint Superman, claiming to have never been Superman (and even gets injured), even though the New52 Superman was outed as being Clark Kent. Metropolis doesn't know what to think - and neither do the readers (at least I don't). This is an entirely new enjoyable development without any explanation as yet so you haven't missed any issues. Everyone is as much in the dark as everyone else.