All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Day Men (Boom!)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 am 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Another good new debut from Boom.

Yes it's another vampire book and yes it's not particularly ground breaking in it's concept but what it is is a really well put together package of interesting characters & gorgeous art. There's a lot of expositional narration used to build up the world that Day Men inhabits but it never feels like a chore to read. And come on, it's Brian Stelfreeze on art - what's not to like?

Looking forward to the next issue and hope this will be is being a long running title.

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Looks like this one is getting the Hollywood treatment too.

Deadline.com wrote:
Comics and graphic novel publisher Boom! Studios and Universal opened their Denzel Washington-Mark Wahlberg actioner 2 Guns at #1 earlier this month. Now the companies have inked a deal for their next comic book adaptation. Uni snatched up film rights to the new Boom! comic Day Men just about a month after it hit shelves, in what I hear was a pre-emptive seven-figure bid. Day Men follows a secret order of humans charged with protecting vampires as they sleep during the day; when a war breaks out between two rival vampire families, one of the Day Men must intervene.

Boom!’s CEO Ross Richie and Stephen Christy are attached as producers on what could turn into a new action-horror franchise for Universal a la rival genre franchises Blade or Resident Evil. A source tells me the studio had been eyeing Day Men since it debuted at Boom!’s Comic-Con panel and subsequently hit shelves July 17. Boom! Editor-in-Chief Matt Gagnon created the comic and co-wrote with Michael Alan Nelson, with art by Brian Stelfreeze.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:43 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

FINALLY!!!

Creator and BOOM! Studios Editor-in-Chief Matt Gagnon wrote:
Dear Retailers and Readers,

Please fasten your seat belts and prepare for landing. We’re approaching our final destination.

To put it another way, DAY MEN #2 will be in stores December 11th! You can insert your “It’s a Christmas miracle!” jokes here. So…when DAY MEN launched, it quickly amassed a wellspring of critical and commercial success. And for that, we need to thank all of our readers and the retail community for embracing the series. It’s a unique book to produce, and one that sort of runs contrary to the monthly publishing schedule. So my feeling is this: if this series is going to be a little different, then it’s only fair that we, as the publisher, be different in how we’re approaching our support of retailers and readers. It’s a two-way street. As you read on you’ll see some of the incentives that we’re offering for our awesome retail partners and readers.

It’s funny, as Editor-in-Chief of BOOM! Studios for going on four years, and another two before that as Managing Editor, I’ve implemented an era of discipline and reliability for our shipping schedule. It’s one of the hallmarks of our company—something I personally take very seriously—and one of the accomplishments I’m most proud of. Ask anyone at BOOM! and they’ll tell you I’m borderline rigid about executing our production schedule flawlessly. To boil down my philosophy of publishing comics to its simplest components, it’s about “great comics, on time.” I believe in delivering the highest-quality stories and doing it on a schedule that fulfills on our solicitation promises to retailers. Look no further than POLARITY, SUICIDE RISK, SIX-GUN GORILLA, HIT, IMAGINE AGENTS, and so many more for that philosophy in practice.

So of course, it’s the irony of all ironies that my own book is a different animal altogether.

One thing, I can flat-out guarantee: This book isn’t going away. This isn’t one of those vanity projects that comes out with one issue in hopes that the media rights are exploited, and then unceremoniously walks off into the forest. Mike, Brian and I are 100% committed to DAY MEN and the stories we have to tell. It’s the only series I’m working on and the only series Bri is working on, period. Weeks after DAY MEN #1 came out, it was picked up by Universal for a feature film deal. This doesn’t affect the publishing in any way. Literally, nothing has changed in that regard. Retailers and fans have asked so I wanted to address the question head on. We’re as focused on the series now as we were on day one.

Brian is putting an insane amount of effort into DAY MEN. He’s reaching for (and achieving) career-best work. This is a physically and emotionally draining process. He hasn’t taken on a project of this scope and volume in a very long time, maybe ever. He’s truly going for broke. We’re aiming to make every issue of DAY MEN an event.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:05 pm 
Merchant

1,342 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:
FINALLY!!!

Creator and BOOM! Studios Editor-in-Chief Matt Gagnon wrote:
Brian is putting an insane amount of effort into DAY MEN.

Really ? Three issues in 11 months, don't burn yourself out Brian.
Only Vampire series I've ever really liked and collected and it has to be so slow coming out .
Any one know what the hold up is?