Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Convergence (DC 2015 Event)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:19 pm 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Details for the "skip months" event occurring while DC move their offices across the country have surfaced.

USA Today wrote:
For 2015's annual "big event,'' DC Comics is mashing up stories and characters from 80 years of comic-book history while also introducing a big bad villain.

The company is putting its line of superhero comic books on hiatus for two months for Convergence, a nine-week miniseries kicking off with a zero issue April 1. The story line will spill into 40 two-part miniseries in April and May featuring a variety of writers and artists examining the worlds of the DC Universe over the decades, as well as the heroes and villains contained within.

"It captures the full essence and scope of DC's incredible history and storytelling," says co-publisher Dan DiDio.

"There is a story and a character for every generation of DC Comics fan."

Convergence spins out of the April 1 finales of the Earth 2: World's End and The New 52: Futures End weekly series. The alien supervillain Brainiac has trapped cities from various timelines and planets that have ended, brought them in domes to a planet outside of time and space, and is now opening them for a great experiment to see what happens when all these folks meet.

"We're picking up at points of their lives where we left them and finding out what's gone on with them since then," says DiDio.

One of the hallmarks of DC has been the popularization of a "multiverse" of parallel worlds of familiar characters, and that has led to story lines such as the 1985 crossover Crisis on Infinite Earths and this year's The Multiversity by writer Grant Morrison.

Since DC rebooted its entire superhero line as part of "The New 52" relaunch in 2011, fans have wondered if certain key moments in DC lore — the death of Superman, Bane breaking Batman's back, etc. — still "counted" in continuity, says co-publisher Jim Lee.

And there's the fact that people have also queried them about what happened to certain favorite characters and teams such as Donna Troy, Blue Beetle and the Justice Society of America, and why they haven't been reintroduced while others have.

"What we're really addressing is they all exist and have existed and exist within the framework of the New 52," Lee explains. "Convergence is in many ways the most meta epic event we've done."

Following in the footsteps of Brainiac is Telos, a new bad guy being introduced in Convergence. Named after the Greek philosophical term for ''end'' or ''goal,'' he is born of Brainiac and this mysterious planet — even taking on traits of that world — "but becomes a character unto himself," says DiDio.

The event also marks the comic debut of writer Jeff King, who's handling the scripting and storytelling for the main Convergence plot line. (Dan Jurgens of Futures End is co-writing the zero issue with him, while former Superman scribe Scott Lobdell is helping to lay out the overall outline of the story.)

King, the executive producer and head writer of USA's White Collar TV series, has a background in science fiction with his work on the shows Stargate SG-1 and Continuum.

"Because this involved so much deep lore and fiction from DC Comics, it was great to have someone come in with a fresh set of eyes to look at it and make sure that it's as open and accessible to all fans," DiDio says. "Not just the people who have been reading DC throughout the years."

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:26 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Damn, beat me to it! ;)

To be honest, I've been following both Worlds End & Futures End so I will end up buying the 8 part miniseries, but I have serious doubts that I will get any of the two-part one(?) shots, apart from those that fall into my "normal" pull list.

Probably. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:46 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Trying to identify a lot of the "worlds" that seem to be involved from that image.

So far, I've got:

Top-Outer-Left: 90s DC (featuring the likes of Steel & Az-Bats & Parallax)
Middle-Outer-Left: Flashpoint Universe?
Bottom-Outer-Left: Justice Riders (Elseworlds tale)

Top-Middle-Left: Justice Society (of some sort). Not the current Earth 2 JSA, as you have Alan Scott & Jade...
Middle-Middle-Left: ??
Bottom-Middle-Left: ??

Top-Middle-Right: Crime Syndicate (but in style looks to be the original 1964 Earth-Three version, rather than the New 52 version)
Middle-Middle-Right: Vampire Batman universe from Batman: Red Rain
Bottom-Middle-Right: ??

Top-Outer-Right: ??
Top-Middle-Right: Wildstorm

Very Bottom: ??

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:18 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

I might actually pick up quite a few of the 2 parters if the rumours about getting classic creators back on board to do new stories turns out to be true.

I guessed a couple of the ones you missed:

dragonwing wrote:
Bottom-Middle-Right: ??

Looks like the Tangent Universe from a few years back.

dragonwing wrote:
Top-Outer-Right: ??

That's the Charlton heroes - Blue Beetle, The Question & Captain Atom

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:56 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ah hah! Charlton Universe! I obviously recognised Blue Beetle & The Question but wasn't sure what universe it was. ;)

Never read any of the Tangent Universe, so no idea on that one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:25 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

So they are basically mashing aspects of the entire multiverse into one planet. Could be interesting, I think I'll get them based on who is writing/drawing it on a case-by-case basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:43 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Full size Convergence image (with more worlds) revealed (click on the image for the full size version without my added pink numbers):

So this gives us:

1: Bird of Prey universe?
2: Red Son universe
3: 90s DC (featuring the likes of Steel & Az-Bats & Parallax)
4: Kingdom Come Universe
5: Earth-AD Universe
6: Booster Gold?
7: Justice Society (of some sort). Not the current Earth 2 JSA, as you have Alan Scott & Jade...
8: Flashpoint Universe
9: Futures End future
10: Batman (but which one?)
11: ??
12: Justice Riders (Elseworlds tale)
13: ??
14: Crime Syndicate (but in style looks to be the original 1964 Earth-Three version, rather than the New 52 version)
15: Vampire Batman universe from Batman: Red Rain
16: ??
17: Quality Comics Universe (Plastic Man, Uncle Sam, Ray)
18: Charlton Heroes Universe
19: Wildstome Universe
20: Tangent Universe
21: Legion of Superheroes
22: Fawcett Comics Universe/Marvel Family
23: ??
24: Earth-C/Earth-26 (Captain Carrot)
25: DC One Million Universe
26: ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:50 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

More news on Convergence from DC (via Comic Book Resources & io9) with details on the first ten miniseries creators & plots:

SUPERMAN

Writer: Dan Jurgens
Artist Lee Weeks and Dan Jurgens/Norm Rapmund
Superman and Lois deal with the impending birth of their child as he is called in to protect the city.

THE ATOM

Writer: Tom Peyer
Artist: Steve Yeowell / Andy Owens
Ray Palmer finds that Ryan Choi is still alive. Together, they meet and confront Deathstroke, the man responsible for “killing” Choi, before fighting the invading Extremists.

BATGIRL

Writer: Alisa Kwitney
Artist: Rick Leonardi and Mark Pennington
After a year in the dome, Stephanie Brown is not sure she wants to be Batgirl again. But when Flashpoint Catman attacks, Red Robin and Black Bat call her back into service.

NIGHTWING/ORACLE

Writer: Gail Simone
Artist: Jan Duursema and Dan Parsons
Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon reevaluate their relationship under the dome (wedding!), but Flashpoint Hawkman & Hawkwoman attack, and everything changes.

SPEED FORCE

Writer: Tony Bedard
Artist: Tom Grummett and Sean Parsons
Wally West and his kids are separated from Linda, which was bad enough, but when the dome falls, Flashpoint Wonder Woman comes for them.

TITANS

Writer: Fabian Nicieza
Artist: Ron Wagner and Jose Marzan
Starfire and Donna Troy come to get Roy Harper who has gone into seclusion since the death of his child and loss of his arm, but then Arsenal has to choose between his team and resurrecting his dead daughter.

JUSTICE LEAGUE

Writer: Frank Tieri
Artist: Vicente Cifuentes
When Supergirl, Zatanna, and Jade went to Jessie Quick's baby shower, they didn't expect to be taken to another planet for a year, or to be attacked by Flashpoint Aquaman.

QUESTION

Writer: Greg Rucka
Artist: Cully Hamner
Two-Face is fighting another world's Harvey Dent, and it's up to Renee Montoya as the Question to help him beat the odds.

BATMAN & ROBIN

Writer: Ron Marz
Artist: Denys Cowan and Klaus Janson
Bruce Wayne and Damian have friction with Red Hood before the Extremists attack.

HARLEY QUINN

Writer: Steve Pugh
Artist: Phil Winslade and John Dell
Harley Quinn is enjoying her normal life under the dome until Catwoman and Poison Ivy draft her to fight Captain Carrot.

Post subject: Re: Convergence (DC 2015 Event)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:35 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

it's nice to see the characters of New Earth (pre-New 52 Earth) making a comeback, even if for a little while *tears of joy*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:45 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I agree - some got a bit of a short shrift when it came to the New 52, vanishing from the line totally, so it could be nice if this somehow ties into that & ends some of these stories (I don't believe that DC are going to return to pre-New 52 stories).

Also, it appears that the Flashpoint universe characters are going to be acting as the antagonists - maybe trying to re-instate their timeline as the "main" timeline?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:36 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Some very tasty creative teams there. Looks like these two months aren't going to be any cheaper for me if the rest of the minis pan out like these.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:08 pm 
Knight

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm looking forward to Rucka and Hamner back on the Question, but none of the other creative teams appeal to me.

Post subject: Re: Convergence (DC 2015 Event)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:28 am 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

Ron Wagner's art looks like an updated Animated Universe style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:30 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Am I the only one who doesn't like this?

If we're supposed to believe that there's only one main DC universe, then where did these characters come from? Flashpoint occurred due to Barry Allen saving his mum's life. He undid that and thus returning the universe to normal. It changed to New 52 because he also merged in the Wildstorm & Vertigo worlds.

If we're to believe that, in continuity, any of that happened - then the DCU and Flashpoint characters can NOT still be used. If New 52 is Earth 0, then DCU can't be and neither could Flashpoint. So, is New 52 actually NOT Earth 0?

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:47 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Honestly? I couldn't care less where stuff fits into the grand scheme of things. All I'm looking for from this is a bunch of good 2-part stories featuring characters I haven't seen for a while.

Profile WWW