Post subject: Constantine tv series
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:20 am 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
229 total thanks.
Say thanks

I have high hopes for this one.
Deadline wrote:
Warner Bros. TV and DC Comics are on a roll this development season with a third high-profile project. Constantine, a drama based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories, has sold to NBC with penalty. It is written/executive produced by The Mentalist executive producer Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer, the go-to writer for Warner Bros.’ feature DC adaptations. Constantine centers on John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.

John Constantine, who first appeared in 1985 as a recurring character in the horror series The Saga Of The Swamp Thing, was created by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and Jamie Delano. He was portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the 2005 feature Constantine and is rumored to be featured in the Justice League Dark feature Warner Bros. has in the works with Guillermo del Toro.

Constantine joins Warner Bros. TV/DC’s The Flash at the CW, a spinoff from hit Arrow, and a Gotham City/Commissioner Gordon drama at Fox, which has a series commitment. WME-repped Goyer has co-written The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, Man Of Steel and the upcoming Batman vs. Superman. On TV, he is the creator/executive producer of Starz’s Da Vinci’s Demons. WME-repped Cerone is the creator/executive producer of Canadian drama Motive, which aired on ABC this summer and is awaiting a second-season renewal.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:32 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Grab Rupert Penry-Jones or Dominic West for the role of Constantine and we might be on to a winner.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:50 am 
Knight

134 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm not sure about Rupert Penry-Jones as Constantine I think he may be too posh for the role. Anyway I want him to keep making Whitechapel, it is one of my favorite shows at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:47 pm 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

IS it just me, or has this been kept on the down-low? I first heard about this from the owner of my LCBS, rather than any of my usual geek culture places.

It says "sold to NBC with penalty" - what does that mean?

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:35 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

It is fairly low key but has a couple of decent names attached for the pilot - David S. Goyer writing it & Daniel Cerone (The Mentalist, Dexter) producing it.

The "with penalty" bit means the creators will still be paid by NBC even if the pilot is never made.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:35 pm 
Knight

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

It means that the network will pay a penalty if it fails to air the pilot on tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 am 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hello Mr Constantine.

Empire Online wrote:
2005’s Constantine came in for plenty of stick for the things it changed about the character and his world, most notably for installing Keanu Reeves instead of the blond Sting-alike comics fans had gotten used to. Now DC and Warner Bros. TV are looking to redress at least that issue, announcing actor Matt Ryan as the tellybox version of the character.

Looking to find another success to sit alongside Smallville and the more recent Arrow, the companies have DC go-to adapter David S. Goyer and presumed showrunner Daniel Cerone working on a pilot script that would explore the enigmatic, caustic and powerful supernatural detective’s world. And, we hope, not shaving off too many of his sharp angles in the process. At least the pilot’s character is described as British, even if he has switched a Liverpudlian origin for a London tone. And Ryan’s British, so that’s another step forward.

Whether anyone can truly bottle the sheer dark joy of the character remains to be seen. The legendary Alan Moore created John Constantine in 1985, as a supporting character in his famous Swamp Thing run. It was Swamp Thing's title, but the scene-stealing Constantine immediately became the story's engine, installing himself essentially as Swamp Thing's manager in an arc involving the Brujeria: a black magic chaos cult who had quietly taken over the world and were next intent on the destruction of Heaven.

Constantine grew to the extent that he was given his own series in 1988 (initially to be called Hellraiser until a certain Clive Barker film forced a re-think). With Moore disinclined to write it himself, the job fell to fellow Northampton resident Jamie Delano, whose lengthy run was followed by sterling work from Garth Ennis, Paul Jenkins, Warren Ellis, Brian Azzarello, Mike Carey, Denise Mina, Andy Diggle and Pete Milligan (among many others, including Neil Gaiman). After 25 years, post DC's New 52 re-jig, Hellblazer was retired last February at issue 300, and Constantine was folded into regular DC continuity, both in his own more mainstream series, and as part of the Justice League Dark.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:08 am 
Knight

597 total thanks.
Say thanks

He looks a bit like Jim Carrey in the pic above :shrug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:48 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Just watched the trailer and I gotta say I very impressed. It's looking really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:00 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Like the look of it, not quite sure about the accent though.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:34 pm 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:
Like the look of it, not quite sure about the accent though.

I can appreciate that. on first listen, it came across a little <_<... but by the end of the trailer I had warmed to it.

one can easily hear traces of Ryan's native Swansea tones in his accent. but - and it's a very relevant but - I'd proffer that is actually a good thing. given their geographical connections (i.e. physical borders and trade routes), there are a number of similarities between a number of Welsh accents and those from the Merseyside area. granted, North Walian voices are obviously far more similar in tone, but even South Walian dialects (Cardiffian in particular) are comparable in some respects.

my thinking is that Ryan's Constantine is possessed of an accent that is notably 'of that ilk', without sounding too 'obviously Scouse' (if you get my meaning). it has a distinct twang, but not to the degree of certain 80s sitcoms and Harry Enfield sketches.

I consider it a deliberate attempt to give him a 'not-too-soft-but-not-too-harsh' voice - with a North American audience in mind, naturally.

in any case, it's certainly in no way either RP or the perhaps overfamiliar 'Cockney' voice, so, with that being said... I'm not sure if Empire's "...London tone" quip is based on actual hearsay, or simply ignorance. :shrug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 am 
Knight

229 total thanks.
Say thanks

Mark your calendar and/or set your DVR: Constantine premieres Friday, October 24 at 10:00 pm ET on NBC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:13 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

The Pilot for constantine has been leaked and I will give my two cents about it after I watched it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:00 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Watched it last night. It's fun! I'll admit I don't know anything about the character other than what was in Trinity War, but it's an interesting TV show.

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:24 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Really looking forwards to this - even if they have now announced that the character of Liv is going to be written out & replaced with Zed (a character with more of an official history with Constantine!)