Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Batman vs Superman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:24 am 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
229 total thanks.
Say thanks

The quest for the new :bat: is over. Drum roll, please.
IGN wrote:
Ben Affleck is set to star as Batman in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel sequel, Warner Bros. has announced.

As reported by The Wrap, Greg Silverman, President of Creative Development and Worldwide Production at Warner Bros. made the following statement earlier today:

“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”

“Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman," added director Snyder. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

“We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.’ remarkable legacy with the character of Batman," continued Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution President Sue Kroll. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes."

Warner Bros. has a longstanding relationship with Affleck. His most recent hit for the studio was 2012's Argo, which won Best Picture at this year's Academy Awards. Affleck's next directorial effort, Live By Night, will also be produced by Warner.

Affleck is no stranger to the superhero gig, having played Daredevil in 20th Century Fox's 2003 flick of the same name. His will be the fifth big-screen Batman since Michael Keaton donned the cowl in Tim Burton's 1989 effort.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:31 am 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

It's official... WB has failed the Cinematic DCU.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:38 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

WHY?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:52 am 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think I shall skip this one.

Post subject: Re: Batman vs Superman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:36 am 
Count

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

and what exactly is wrong with Affleck ? never understood why people hate him so much,is that because they remember him more for his less successful projects like Daredevil and Pearl Harbor ?

besides,maybe they're taking a page from the MCU and cast actors like RDJ and Chris Evans for roles people would never otherwise associate them with,and make it work

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:31 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

and what exactly is wrong with Affleck ?

He's not tough. In no role I have seen him in has he convincingly acted tough. I mean Charles Bronson, Karl Urban as Dredd tough.

And mostly to convince me that a movie Batman can do what he has to be doing on screen you gotta be tough (or at least act it).

I would push Ben down and steal his comics he looks so goofy.

P.S. Look at his goofy looking tough guy act in Smoking Aces. He's so lame they had to kill him before the action started or he would have screwed up the whole flick.

P.P.S. Clint Eastwood managed to look tougher at 100 years old in Gran Turino then Ben has every year of his life added together.

Last edited by CharlieRock on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:38 pm 
Count

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

and that's EXACTLY why he's going to be perfect as Bruce Wayne's public persona :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:42 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lex Talionis wrote:
and that's EXACTLY why he's going to be perfect as Bruce Wayne's public persona :D

I can't comment on this anymore. He is so wrong I can't talk about it without getting pist off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:44 pm 
Count

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

:D <--joking

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:49 pm 
Knight

696 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lex Talionis wrote:
:D <--joking

Whew! :oops:

Maybe we can get Will Ferrell as Two-Face or something? :twoface:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:37 pm 
Count

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

or Jack Nicholson as an aging Joker

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lex Talionis wrote:
or Jack Nicholson as an aging Joker

Jack Nicholson could be 90 years old and confined to a bed and he'd still be the superior movie Joker. I nothing against Ledger, but since his Joker didn't actually act like Joker, I don't really even count him as someone who has played the Joker. I think that, with a better script that actually had Joker in it, not some random psycho who spouts a lot of stupid philosophy, I think Ledger probably could have done a decent job as Joker. That said, if we go outside movies and talk about the Joker in any media, then no one beats Mark Hamil :wink:

As for Affleck, I'm fine with him as batman. I actually didn't dislike Daredevil (and the director's Cut made it an actual good movie, not amazing but solidly entertaining) and I think Affleck will do a much better job as batman/Bruce wayne than Bale did. Partly because, even though I haven't seen a huge amount of Afflecks stuff, I think Affleck is a better actor, and also because Bale was just so bad at the role that I think it would be hard to have a worse actor playing the role (outside of just casting some completely inappriopriate person as a joke).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:53 pm 
Count

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

Bale was an OK Bruce Wayne,his Batman would've been fine if not for that Batman voice,then again he had to work with a script that sucked all the fun out of a Batman story (yes,I'm one of the rare few who thinks Nolan's trilogy is boring as hell)

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:06 pm 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

Oh... let me be clear. I don't hate Affleck. I don't know that he's suited for this at all and I welcome being wrong about that.

Part of the problem with this is an expectation that because he's become "Oscar-worthy" in the eyes of the industry, he is uniquely or specially qualified for the role. It speaks volumes to the "we're doing business" mentality of DC because it doesn't take into account that his "Oscar-worthiness" is derived from dramatic roles and films of an entirely different genre.
Personally, when I watched his Oscar-winning Argo with my wife, we were BORED! We weren't particularly sympathetic with the strife of characters who essentially drank and smoked in fear for their lives through the majority of the film and were underwhelmed at the "suspense" of their climactic boarding of a plane.
IF this is an example of the dull characterization we can expect from Affleck... well to paraphrase the potentially only interesting thing about that film, "Argo fuck it!" Man of Steel already has a bad rep for its tone (and yes, I've STILL not seen it,) how could what Affleck's shown us improve on that?

We can be surprised, and I would be HAPPY to be... (in the 80's we were surprised by Keaton. In recent years we were surprised by Ledger.)
But that doesn't change that this stinks of executive number crunching and public relations more than it feels like a decision made to create a story and cast it with any conviction that it could stand on its own with out the supposed Box Office Draw of "superstars." Consider the fact that they couldn't even make Cavill a superstar with the opening salvo of (what they initially had NO INTENTION of being) the Cinematic DC Universe.
At least we know DC doesn't fear rebooting anything... so that probably won't take too long.
But then there's the other side of the coin:
It'll likely be "just good enough" in the same way most of the X-men films have been, and perhaps Man of Steel was. It'll make them money, though not likely what they had in mind. It'll heighten their "brand visibility," even if only in a "all press is good press even when it's bad" way. But how much it will satisfy us is HIGHLY questionable at this point.
In any case continuing to make "business" decisions in place of "creatively inspired" decisions is the core of why DC is failing us... not even just in this instance.

Have you seen the awful DVD idea they're releasing this fall? "Necessary Evil."
A thinly veiled promotional effort for their fall stunt of having NO SUPERHERO TITLES.

bah... I say a lot when I should just simplify my whole attitude about DC:
Make Mine Marvel. :shrug:

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:55 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Lets all be honest here..the only reason Batman is in this movie is because Man of Steel didnt make the money they thought it would. I also think they painted themselves in a corner but making this version of Superman darker like Batman...What are they going to do now when you have a guy with actual tragedy and who has been fighting the fight for many years...suddenly act like a boyscout?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next