Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Batman - The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 & 2 (DC Animation)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:15 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Cast:
wikipedia wrote:
Introduced in Part 1
Peter Weller as Bruce Wayne / Batman
Ariel Winter as Carrie Kelley / Robin
David Selby as Commissioner James Gordon
Wade Williams as Harvey Dent / Two-Face
Paget Brewster as Lana Lang
Maria Canals Barrera as Ellen Yindel
Michael Emerson as Joker
Michael Jackson as Alfred Pennyworth
Michael McKean as Dr. Bartholomew Wolper
Gary Anthony Williams as Mutant Leader
Grey DeLisle as Anchorwoman Carla
Richard Doyle as The Mayor
Yuri Lowenthal as "Son of Batman"
James Patrick Stuart as Murray
Bruce Timm as Thomas Wayne
Frank Welker as Mayor Stevenson

Introduced in Part 2
Mark Valley as Superman
Robin Atkin Downes as Oliver Queen
Tress MacNeille as Selina Kyle
Jim Meskimen as President
Conan O'Brien as David Endochrine

First off, I should clarify something. I HATE frank Miller's work. To me, he's a complete idiot who has always written bad stories, they've just gotten worse and worse as time has past. 99% of his female characters are either outright prostitutes, over sexualized idiots, a-holes, or a combination of those(I don't know if anyone is all three, but Wonder Woman in All Star Batman & Robin is easily the second two combined). His batman has devolved from a macho Batman who has an inner monologue that never shuts up to a crazy man in a Batman suit with a completely mad inner monologue that never shuts up. The only reason I don't think that The Dark Knight Returns is one of the worst Batman comic stories ever is because All Star Batman exists, and compared to that not even Year One or TDKR can challenge it for the title of worst Batman story. Batman: Year One wasn't as bad as TDKR, but it was still fairly terrible (except for the parts with just Commissioner Gordon). The animated movie of that was better than the book, but not a huge improvement.

But, then I watched the direct to DVD DC animated adaptation of TDKR. I didn't like this story in comic form, but this adaptation really improves on the comic. A lot of the poorly written political satire is gone, and whats left is focused on how people are reacting to Batman. That is the weakest parts of the story, when they flash to a bunch of TV news anchors discussing batman with people, but it doesn't take away from the main story, which is an aged Batman coming out of retirement and kicking butt. The second part is at least as good as the first, if not a little better. The story was done very well (while dropping some of the pointless stuff from the story). It turns out that there was a good story in The Dark Knight Returns, you just had to get rid of a lot of the stupid stuff Frank Miller likes to put in his stories. Gone is the really stupid political stuff, just leaving in the essentials for the story (which actually does a good job with the presidential stuff now) and the same goes with inner monologues. Another huge advantage is to have designs based on the frank Miller stuff, but done a lot better. The art and animation in this is a bit stylized, but done well. This is an example of an adaptation that surpasses the source material in every way. It took Miller's long, rambling political story about an old Batman and made it into a story I enjoyed with characters I liked (Old Batman and Carrie Kelly were actually great characters in this). Somehow, the people who worked on these movies managed to dig and find a good story buried under Frank Miller's garbage. It still had some flaws leftover (Frank just really liked writing Catwoman as a prostitute/pimp) but overall it was entertaining.

Overall, I'd score both movies together as a
8/10

This isn't my favorite DC Direct animation, but it’s very good and its definitely a great example of the adapters being much more skilled than the original author.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject: Re: Batman - The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 & 2 (DC Animati
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:18 am 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

great review,so what's your favorite DCUA DTV ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Its hard to say. Both Superman/Batman movies are up there, but Batman:Under the Red Hood was also awesome. You also can't forget about GL: First Flight, but JL: Doom was great, too. Honestly, I don't think I could pick a favorite, even if my life depended on it :lol: Besides Batman: Gotham Knights and Batman: Year One, I've liked all of them. The only one I don't hate but couldn't call a favorite was Crisis on Two Earths, but it wasn't bad, it just wasn't quite as good as the other ones I like.

Post subject: Re: Batman - The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 & 2 (DC Animati
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 pm 
Duke

2,046 total thanks.
Say thanks

I liked First Flight (well,more than the live-action GL atleast) Crisis on Two Earths is probably my favorite,through all the DTVs have their charm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:18 am 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I just can't chose. I can barely narrow it down to four (and its hard to do that, since I like almost all of the direct to DVD movies) that could be my favorite, but between JL: Doom, the two Superman/Batman movies and Batman: Under the Red Hood I can't pick a clear winner.