All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:50 am 
Squire

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1 total thanks.
Say thanks

killermunkyz84 wrote:
Ant Man? That has to be Marvel's absolute worst idea ever! Are they just trying to add to the Avenger's roster for one of the next movies? So now every minor Avenger's character gets a movie? smh

Personally, I'm thinking Guardians of the Galaxy is their worst idea ever, like Howard the Duck the movie bad. But, Paul - charisma bypass, only ever a supporting actor- Rudd as Antman? Oh dear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:37 pm 
Count

3,874 total thanks.
Say thanks

Welp, it's been announced that Michael Douglas has been cast as Hank Pym, with Paul Rudd playing Scott Lang...

Newsarama wrote:
Paul Rudd is Ant-Man. And now Michael Douglas is Hank Pym.

The latest news directly from Marvel Studios has the multiple Academy Award winner joining the Edgar Wright written and directed film as Henry Pym, the inventor of the technology that he, Scott Lang, and Eric O'Grady have all used to change size as three versions of Ant-Man in the history of Marvel Comics.

Rudd, likewise, after much speculation has been officially confirmed as Scott Lang in the film. In the comics, Lang is the second Ant-Man, after stealing the suit and technology to help his sick daughter. Pym helped Lang become a superhero in his own right, eventually joining the Avengers and being a replacement leader of the Fantastic Four. No plot details for the film, including Pym and Lang's relationship, have been revealed yet.

"With Hank Pym's rich history in the Marvel Universe, we knew we needed an actor capable of bringing the weight and stature to the role that the character deserves," said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige in a press release. "We felt incredibly relieved when Michael Douglas agreed to step into the part with the charm and fortitude he brings to every character he inhabits, and couldn't be more excited to see what he will do to bring Hank Pym to life."

Ant-Man is scheduled for release from Marvel Studios on July 31, 2015.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:44 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Im interested to see what they do with this, I think it should be more of an adventure movie instead of full blown superhero movie. Other than Ultron who is in Ant Man's rouges's gallery?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:27 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm glad that they decided to have Rudd play Scott Lang. Pym has such a muddled history that trying to bring it all to the big screen would just end up with a jumbled mess. Lang's origin is much more relatable as a man who would do anything to save his daughter. It makes a complicated hero with years of back story accessible to an everyday audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:55 am 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah. I know a lot of people were expecting Pym, but I believe the director's said for years he wanted to do Scott Lang since that's who he read about growing up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:13 pm 
Knight

1,300 total thanks.
Say thanks

batmanandrobin wrote:
Im interested to see what they do with this, I think it should be more of an adventure movie instead of full blown superhero movie. Other than Ultron who is in Ant Man's rouges's gallery?

Ant-Man villains include: Egghead, Whirlwind, Scarlet Beetle, Hijacker, the Voice of Doom, the Creature from Kosmos, Porcupine, Doctor Nemesis and Darren Cross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:41 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

So Edgar Wright has left the helm on this film. A joint statement was released by Wright and Marvel Studios.

Quote:
Marvel and Edgar Wright jointly announced today that the studio and director have parted ways on ANT-MAN due to differences in their vision of the film. The decision to move on is amicable and does not impact the release date on July 17, 2015. A new director will be announced shortly.

Considering Wright has been working on a version of Ant-Man since way back in 2006 and the film is currently well into pre-production, this split comes as something of a surprise. What those allusive "differences in their vision of the film" actually amount to isn't mentioned, but maybe we'll have further statements from Wright or Marvel producers made in interviews over the next days/weeks/months.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 am 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

Mabsuk wrote:
So Edgar Wright has left the helm on this film. A joint statement was released by Wright and Marvel Studios.

Quote:
Marvel and Edgar Wright jointly announced today that the studio and director have parted ways on ANT-MAN due to differences in their vision of the film. The decision to move on is amicable and does not impact the release date on July 17, 2015. A new director will be announced shortly.

Considering Wright has been working on a version of Ant-Man since way back in 2006 and the film is currently well into pre-production, this split comes as something of a surprise. What those allusive "differences in their vision of the film" actually amount to isn't mentioned, but maybe we'll have further statements from Wright or Marvel producers made in interviews over the next days/weeks/months.

I would have to imagine that the "difference" in question is one critical to the overarching universal structure of Marvel films. Marvel did trade the director of Thor: Dark World, but on the whole, upper management tends to stay out of the way of their creative teams, inputting only that which will maintain the cohesion of the MCU.
With luck, this change won't be a bad thing, despite the fact that the film will exist in large part because Wright pitched it to begin with.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:32 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

AnathemaX wrote:
I would have to imagine that the "difference" in question is one critical to the overarching universal structure of Marvel films. Marvel did trade the director of Thor: Dark World, but on the whole, upper management tends to stay out of the way of their creative teams, inputting only that which will maintain the cohesion of the MCU.
With luck, this change won't be a bad thing, despite the fact that the film will exist in large part because Wright pitched it to begin with.

Looks like you are correct AnathemaX, as it appears the "differences" may have been over Kevin Feige tweaking some elements to fit the Marvel Studios overarching vision.

Newsarama wrote:
according to an article by The Hollywood Reporter's Kim Masters and Borys Kit Wednesday, Wright's exit was due to Marvel Studios' head Kevin Feige bringing in outside screenwriters to revise Wright and co-writer Joe Cornish's final script just weeks before filming was scheduled to begin on June 2. After receiving the rewritten script on May 19, Wright reportedly quit the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:58 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Looking forward to this movie. Hope they won't screw up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:37 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Looks like they're looking for a comedy director replacement.

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Sources say Rawson Marshall Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer are among a group of directors that are meeting with the studio to replace Edgar Wright, who abruptly exited the long-gestating project last week over creative differences.

The shortlisting of this trio offers a glimpse into the mind-set of Marvel president Kevin Feige as he looks to fill the hole left by Wright, a favorite among the fanboy community. Thurber (We're the Millers, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story) and McKay (the Anchorman movies) are known for their bawdy comedies. Fleischer, whose credits include Zombieland and Gangster Squad, has moved deftly between genres with comedic elements. Wright, a Brit with a more quirky sensibility, clashed with Marvel over the tone of the film.

But one of those has ruled himself out already.

Adam McKay via Twitter wrote:
And yes, met w/Marvel. Kirby & Lee r my Lennon Mccartney so it was awesome. But have other projects I'm committed to. Not sure it can work.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:59 pm 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

A new director is found:

Marvel.com wrote:
When Marvel's "Ant-Man" hits theaters July 17, 2015, director Peyton Reed will help shepherd the hero into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a cast led by Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, with writer Adam McKay contributing to the film's script.

Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang (Rudd) must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas), protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:10 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I still have high hopes for this movie. Hopefully it will be as successful as Guardians seems like it will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 am 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I also still have pretty high hopes. The script should hopefully remain mostly unchanged. Really is too bad about losing Edgar, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:14 am 
Knight

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

Although I don't know anything about the character besides his powers, I am pretty interested in this movie, mainly because I'm often curious as to how they display the superhuman abilities via sfx.

Also this poster was presumably revealed at Comic-Con

Spoiler: show