Post subject: All New X-Factor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:17 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

From comicbookresources:

Quote:
And now, David, along with artist Carmine Di Giandomenico, is set to pick things up from that thread with "All-New X-Factor," a new series launching as a part of All-New Marvel NOW! announced at New York Comic Con 2013.

"It picks up sort of directly after X-Factor #260," Peter David told CBR about the series. "I dropped some reasonably obvious hints in that one as to what direction we were going."

So far, the corporate-sponsored team consists of Polaris and her half-brother Quicksilver, plus an intriguing wildcard who just saw his own solo series come to a close: The kinetically-charged Cajun, Gambit.

Code:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48406

Its PAD, so I'm sure its good, although I don't like the more mainstream heroes. Quicksilver? Gambit? I really hope Wolverine doesn't get added to the team next I also hate the idea of a Corporate sponsored X-Factor. Government sponsored would have been a bit lame, but made sense. Since most corporations in comics not owned by a superhero are evil, I can see this quickly becoming the team vs the corporation. Like I said, its PAD so I'll definately read it, I'm just really nervous. I honestly would have preferred that PAD just do something else if he wasn't going to do the real X-Factor anymore.

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:45 am 
Count

3,874 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think it could be interesting, though I've never been a fan of Quicksilver or Gambit. I liked the entirety of the last X-Factor run, so I'll give this a go.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:50 am 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

This being one of the titles I've always collected since issue #1 when it was the original X-men "in disguise" & before his run, I am pretty glad that David has a new direction to take it and is continuing to write despite his recent health problems.

PAD was quoted as saying essentially that Gambit would be the "voice of the reader" to question everything. Seems a sound choice all things considered. I don't mind it.
Also, Quicksilver & Polaris WERE among the first six members PAD put on the team when he first came on the title and made X-Factor a "Government Sponsored" entity.

Another thing he revealed is that 3 other members will be added.
(I feel pretty confident the blonde on the cover is Cypher, which only "might" make the hooded figure Warlock... Cypher would make a lot of sense even if that isn't 'Lock, but if it is both that would track with the way PAD tends to kept a couple of "buddies" around for comic asides.)

He also mentioned that there are plans for both Monet & Guido in other books. (Solicitations already revealed where we'd see M anyway.)

The corporate sponsored element doesn't bother me either. Marvel already introduced the idea of X-Corp, which was essentially various mutants being utilized primarily by Xavier to investigate mutant rights violations around the globe, but it was a short lived idea. David has said that Madrox has actually "sold" the X-factor name to this Serval Industries.
(He's also said that he'd love to write about Jamie and Layla's adventures on the farm but figured everyone but him would be bored by it. I don't think he knows his fans well enough. I'd buy it! :P )
I am curious what kind of message this will bring to the table, given Marvel's association with Disney and all the various opinions about the corporate nature of the comic industry. I think it'll be interesting to see what analogies he makes to other real world issues on the topic. I trust they'll be brilliant and insightful.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:20 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm going to read it and I'm sure it could be good. No one else could take what is a fairly bad idea for a new X-Factor, give it a pretty horrible starting roster, and make it good. I just wish he didn't have to work so hard to fight the inherent lamness of the premise. I guess he just likes to have to work uphill to get a book to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'll give it a shot with PAD writing but not impressed with the choice of artist. My only exposure to Di Giandomenico's work was the Punisher War Zone mini and it was patchy at best, some good pages but on others it was difficult to tell who was who from panel to panel.

And those outfits....

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:42 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

Why are they sponsored by a Canadian company?

I kid - but I hate the uniform. What's with the 'goggles'?

However, this couldn't have come as a surprise to anyone who read #260. "I want you [Polaris] to join my team. We're calling it X-Factor." So, shock when Polaris is heading up a new book called X-Factor...

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:33 pm 
Squire

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

If PAD can replicate half the great character work he did on Maddrox with Gambit I'll be a happy man. Plus PAD and Quicksilver is always a winning combination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 pm 
Squire

17 total thanks.
Say thanks

Neat!

Sad day when the canceled X-Factor. Was a great series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:34 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm liking the idea, and the team. I was gutted when they cancelled Gambit as he is a character that I have grown to enjoy (not nearly as much as Nightcrawler though).

I'm sure that with PAD's development this relaunch of the book will have all the nuances that made its previous incarnation great.

I'm thinking of it less as picking up a new title, but instead coming back to a title that has had a little break for holidays.
:nightcrawler:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:21 pm 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

AnathemaX wrote:
Another thing he revealed is that 3 other members will be added.
(I feel pretty confident the blonde on the cover is Cypher, which only "might" make the hooded figure Warlock... Cypher would make a lot of sense even if that isn't 'Lock, but if it is both that would track with the way PAD tends to kept a couple of "buddies" around for comic asides.)

I called it! (though Danger is a bit of a surprise...):

ALL-NEW X-FACTOR #1 - Written by: Peter David. Art by: Carmine Di Giandomenico.
Covers by: Jared Fletcher. Pages: 32. Price: $3.99. In stores: Jan. 8.
Description: Serval Industries, the world's foremost leader in cutting-edge internet and weapons technology has just unveiled their newest contribution to society “ it's superhuman division, the All-New X-Factor! Led by Polaris, the mutant mistress of magnetism, fellow X-Factor members Quicksilver, Gambit, Danger, Cypher, and Warlock use their powers for the betterment of society. Or are their corporate backers at Serval Industries using X-Factor for the betterment of themselves?

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z. The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how he uses that experience in a dystopian future. It's free online, mobile-friendly, & presented as a serial, with updates 3 times weekly at SeeDarkly.com

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 am 
Duke

563 total thanks.
Say thanks

AnathemaX wrote:
All-New X-Factor! Led by Polaris, the mutant mistress of magnetism, fellow X-Factor members Quicksilver, Gambit, Danger, Cypher, and Warlock use their powers for the betterment of society. Or are their corporate backers at Serval Industries using X-Factor for the betterment of themselves?

Oh, I'm sure Serval are NOT using X-Factor for their own nefarious purposes... Still going to read it, but hasn't David done the 'big, nasty conglomerate' in Spider-Man 2099?

Watch Iron Manime!

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:37 pm 
Knight

1,930 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah, the stuff with serval seems a bit too predictable, and Quicksilver/Gambit are still really lame members for X-Factor. Still, its PAD, so I'll be reading it. I just hope he manages to take it in a direction different from the obvious one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:34 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Bloody hell, double shipping in two of the first 3 months.

Quote:
ALL-NEW X-FACTOR #4 & 5
PETER DAVID (W) • CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO (A)
Cover by KRIS ANKA & JARED FLETCHER
• In issue #4, the team takes on their former frenemy, Danger!
• Then, in issue #5, learn the sinister secret of Techno Inc.!
• Brought to you by Serval Industries.
32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (EACH)

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:22 pm 
Knight

568 total thanks.
Say thanks

Double shipping seems to be a thing with Marvel NOW at the mo. Happens a lot with All new X-Men and Avengers stuff.

Having read the first issue of All New X-Factor, I'm quite pleased. Forgot how much I enjoy reading Gambit in a book, and with his title cancelled this is perfect for me. Hope that somewhere down the line it maybe touches on some of the older members especially Madrox and Layla

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:12 am 
Knight

4 total thanks.
Say thanks

mrpinktoo wrote:
Double shipping seems to be a thing with Marvel NOW at the mo. Happens a lot with All new X-Men and Avengers stuff.

Having read the first issue of All New X-Factor, I'm quite pleased. Forgot how much I enjoy reading Gambit in a book, and with his title cancelled this is perfect for me. Hope that somewhere down the line it maybe touches on some of the older members especially Madrox and Layla

David has all but said he's done using the Madrox's for now. He had said something to the effect of if he were to write anything featuring them right now, it would essentially be about their adventures running the farm they live on now.
I wouldn't expect double shipping to continue forever. I'm sure it will for only a little while more. If only because PAD had some downtime from production to get ahead on the writing and Marvel is going to pump it out quickly to make up for any loss they took due to his downtime. Just a theory.

I really need to pick up my pull this week and see how this is going so far.