Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010-2011 NBA Basketball
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:05 pm 
Knight

Thanked 0 times for this post.
135 total thanks.
Say thanks

The season has already hit one high point with the Miami Heat visiting the Cleveland Cavaliers, but in the early part of the season who do you think looks the best and who looks to disappoint?

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:07 am 
Knight

597 total thanks.
Say thanks

I'm surprised by San Antonio's record to date...didn't expect them to do so well but its only the first quarter of the season so we'll see if they can hold up. Miami isn't doing as well as many would have thought though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:46 pm 
Knight

158 total thanks.
Say thanks

Miami will get better and they will make the play-offs but I don't see them winning a ring even with Pat Riley coaching. Knicks are an early surprise for me though cause they're looking like a likely 7 or 8th seed contender barring no injuries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:54 pm 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

So far, it least to me, it seems like the same teams that you expect are doing what you expect to a large degree.
Spurs - expected them to be good, but they are better than good so far
Lakers - Pretty much what we expected I think
Miami - Not as good as we thought they might to be start off, but they seem to be starting to understand how to play together
Boston - They've kind of surprised me a little, but I expected them to be a high seed

There doesn't appear to be any real surprises yet. That's probably why the NBA season isn't real exciting anymore.
Agree?
What would you do to change the NBA to make it better?
Less teams?
less games?
Raise the basket?
Widen the court? the lane (ala the international game)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:01 am 
Squire

64 total thanks.
Say thanks

We need a better distribution of talent. You cant have only 4 teams absolutely dominating with the best players and the rest of the league being used as a farming system. Its just not fun or interesting when you basically know that your team has no chance at all against those teams.

Another thing they need to change is those ridiculous star calls. Just call the foul when it is a foul. The players that can play within the constraint of the rules should be the best players!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:13 am 
Knight

597 total thanks.
Say thanks

Shonuff wrote:
We need a better distribution of talent. You cant have only 4 teams absolutely dominating with the best players and the rest of the league being used as a farming system. Its just not fun or interesting when you basically know that your team has no chance at all against those teams.

Yeah but there's not much you can do about that...the NBA already has the salary cap thing going and i dunno if they can do anything more than that...The same thing's happening in European soccer too (sorry but i dunno much about U.S soccer) and its a lot worse than NBA cause there's no cap at all.
But its wrong when you go into a game thinking that you have no chance against your opponents...anyone can be beaten...hell even Jordan's Bulls didnt go 82-0, so there's always equal playing field if you don't give up the battle before it even starts..

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:52 pm 
Squire

64 total thanks.
Say thanks

xavi wrote:
Shonuff wrote:

Yeah but there's not much you can do about that...the NBA already has the salary cap thing going and i dunno if they can do anything more than that...The same thing's happening in European soccer too (sorry but i dunno much about U.S soccer) and its a lot worse than NBA cause there's no cap at all.
But its wrong when you go into a game thinking that you have no chance against your opponents...anyone can be beaten...hell even Jordan's Bulls didnt go 82-0, so there's always equal playing field if you don't give up the battle before it even starts..

The NBA is going to go into a massive lockout next year for that reason. Players are making too much money and they are basically dictating where they are going to go which is something the owners just dont like. Carmelo and Chris Paul want to go to NY to make another super team. Its an ongoing trend that is going to send the league into a farming system outside of NY, LA, and a few other spots. If the NBA is not interesting today, wait and see what its like in a few years if star players keep having their way. That stigma that any team can be beaten any night is becoming less and less true when all the top talent is being centralized. I mean Miami has 3/5 of the starting lineup from last years Eastern Conference All stars!

However, were going to see a big lockout as the players union is talking about decertification and crap like that. We wont see NBA ball for a year at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:13 am 
Knight

597 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah that's true...players are now saying that they want to be there instead of here and stuff like that...its embarrassing...I remember when Lebron moved to Miami, Jordan said something like he'd never do what Lebron did...He'd never join Larry Bird at Celtics, he wanted to beat Larry Bird. That's the difference between Jordan and Lebron. (other that their obvious major difference in skills and ability)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:53 pm 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

Is contraction then the answer the answer. Since there are a growing number of "super teams" then whack a few of the small market teams and that would get rid of some of the tepid talent and bring better players to every team.
If they did that the league would fold the teams and could redistribute the talent in a draft like disbursement.
It would make the finances better and the games would probably be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:55 am 
Squire

64 total thanks.
Say thanks

Yeah I think that is the threat the league is going with. players make too much for too many years so the profits are starting to not make sense for the owners. The players union doesnt want this of course because that leaves about 15-20 players out of a job a year, and the NBA doesnt want to give up merchandise and ticket sales. The NBA is about to take ownership of the Hornets and they will threaten to start dismantling that team to start with if the players dont get realistic with their demands for contract structure. Interesting times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:28 pm 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

Or course with contraction you also reduce the number of games each team would play or they would increase the number they play against each team.
They could also increase the roster for each team to include some of the players that would otherwise be left to the European teams or the developmental league. It could also increase the fan base for the developmental league with an infusion of new and better talent. The CBA was viable for a number of years, at least until Isaiah Thomas became the owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 am 
Serf

0 total thanks.
Say thanks

I think they need to go international. Do something similar to what soccer does in Europe.
I would suggest an NBA merged with a European league where the NBA teams would play 42 games in the USA amongst themselves. Then take about a month an a half off and take all the NBA teams to Europe to play against the European teams for 42 games. After that the teams would go back to their respective leagues and have the playoffs similar to what we have now in the NBA. After a champion is crowned, that team will go on to play the champion of the European league for the rightfully named world championship. The full season would last the same amount time that currently lasts right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:23 am 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

Interesting idea of the international basketball concept and fits with the increase of the international players in the NBA. I don't know if I can see the players wanting to go to Europe for an extended length of time, but bringing the European teams come to the USA would be interesting.
Of course there would be adaptations that would need to be made to the game - the lane size and shape, three point line length, etc.
Might be interesting to see them try something like that in the exhibition season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:27 am 
Knight

135 total thanks.
Say thanks

Who's on your all star team - who is your starting five for the eastern and western conference?

East -
LeBron
D. Wade
Rajon Rondo
Kevin Garnett
Amare Stodimire

West -
Kobe
Tony Parker
Tim Duncan
Carmello
Dirk Novinski