Post subject: 2010/11 Football Season
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:16 pm 
Duke

Thanked 0 times for this post.
13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Well our season has got off to a fantastic start :(

Quote:
Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday at Villa Park.

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

Martin O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

Profile WWW  

The thanks button has been moved to the left hand column, under user details.
You can now thank people for any post, not just the original topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:35 pm 
King

11,665 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hull had a decent start, 2-0 against Swansea. They didn't look like the strongest of teams but it's early days with new players and new staff so I'm pretty happy. :)

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: 2010/11 Football Season
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:54 am 
Knight

597 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:

Quote:
Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday at Villa Park.

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

Martin O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

i didnt know you were an Aston Villa fan (sorry that Milner's following in Gareth Barry's footsteps)...saw from soccernet that
Quote:
Bob Bradley has indicated he could be ready to replace Martin O'Neill at Aston Villa and is eager to manage in Europe. Bradley, fresh from leading the United States to the second round at the World Cup finals, is yet to commit his future to the national side.

Btw as a Man U fan, i'm worried...Man U's defence seems vulnerable the way they played in the Community shield...Vidic's exceptionally bad, Van Der Sar looks very shaky but Scholes was excellent :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:45 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

CactusFunk wrote:
Hull had a decent start, 2-0 against Swansea...

...so I'm pretty happy. :)

indeed, as am I. for one entirely separate and obvious reason.

*ahem*

far as mine go...

earning the dubious distinction of 'earning' the only draw of the opening day was not exactly ideal, especially against 10 men. but then, I'd have taken a point before kickoff, tbh, things being as they are. and quite honestly, with all the shit that's gone on behind the scenes, I'm very often simply grateful just to still have a club to support.

still, despite my club's bipolar insistence on giving me reasons to cheer and fear in equal measure... I still think we should be up there come season's end.

see you down the CCS in a month's time, Funk ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:32 am 
Knight

506 total thanks.
Say thanks

So would it be too late if we have an EPL Fantasy League?

Post subject: Re: 2010/11 Football Season
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:00 pm 
Knight

597 total thanks.
Say thanks

Spaced wrote:

Quote:

And the 2010/2011 Premier League season has begun! Judging by the comfortable win, Aston Villa didnt miss Martin O'Neill much :wink: ...
Big game coming up w Arsenal travelling to Liverpool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:00 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

Very happy with the win yesterday. Highlight was a start for Marc Albrighton - excellent young player who deserves a long run in the first team.

As for Liverpool/Arsenal, I'll say 2-1 to the home side.

Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 am 
Knight

506 total thanks.
Say thanks

Arsenal even without Cesc and RVP is shaping up to be a solid squad. However, judging by the angle from Ngog's goal, Almunia shouldn't stay #1 for long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:14 pm 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

*ahem*

Quote:
Craig Bellamy has joined Championship side Cardiff City on a season-long loan deal from Manchester City.

The 31-year-old striker told the Cardiff website: "I'm thrilled to be coming back home to Cardiff.

"I am excited at the prospect of wearing the shirt and playing for the club I've supported since I was a boy."

The Bluebirds are due to present the Wales captain at a press conference at 1530 BST and he will face Doncaster Rovers in Saturday's home league match.

"I'll be working hard with my new team-mates to bring success to the club and look forward to our next Championship game on Saturday," added Bellamy.

"I'm sure that all City fans will play their part in driving us forward this year. It has been my dream to play my part in taking my hometown club to the Premier League, which would be fantastic for the football club, the city of Cardiff and Wales."

Cardiff boss Dave Jones said: "Bringing Craig to Cardiff is another big step in the development of this football club and I am delighted that he has agreed to join us on a season-long loan.

"Like recent additions Jason Koumas and Seyi Olofinjana, Craig is a great talent and adds to the quality players that we have here.

"We will continue to work on taking the next steps as a club and hope that all Cardiff City supporters join us in welcoming Craig by turning up in high numbers this season."

Bellamy, whose colourful career has taken in eight clubs already and cost nearly £45m in transfer fees, had earlier been given permission to train with Cardiff by Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini.

The player had already been told he was being left out of City's 25-man Premier League squad due to be finalised by 1 September and had also been linked with moves to Tottenham, Fulham, Celtic, Everton.

Bellamy said last week he would be happy to play for Cardiff as his family was based there and the club said they "would love" to sign him.

Manchester City will be happy he has moved to the Championship rather than a Premier League rival.

Tottenham beat Mancini's City team to the last Champions League place last season and were linked with a move for Bellamy.

But Spurs manager Harry Redknapp earlier conceded: "They wouldn't want to loan him to us. I don't think they want to loan anyone to us.

"Good luck to Cardiff but it would be a waste of an outstanding player. He should stay in the Premier League for sure."

Bellamy himself was so exasperated with his situation at Eastlands that he even spoke last week of quitting football altogether.

"This game is ruthless; I might finish, full stop," he stated.

He has been a Premier League regular since joining Coventry from Norwich in 2000 - except for a five-month loan stint at Celtic during his time at Newcastle United - and has also played for Liverpool, West Ham and Blackburn Rovers.

His friend, Derby County's Robbie Savage, told BBC Radio 5 live: "He's disappointed he's not in the City 25. He thinks he should be in, as I do and the majority of supporters in Britain would.

"He wants to play football and is a fantastic player."

that is all. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:43 pm 
Knight

515 total thanks.
Say thanks

and mourinho bought ricardo carvalho !!!
hummm
i never enjoyed real madrid but i trully love ricardo carvalho...
lets see how this ends... i think i will start liking them now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:44 pm 
Knight

204 total thanks.
Say thanks

Hoping the 6-0 trend continues tonight with Liverpool crushing City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:41 pm 
Squire

52 total thanks.
Say thanks

Do you all follow spanish league as well or mostly, just the english league?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:32 am 
Knight

621 total thanks.
Say thanks

in terms of 'as well'...

well... can't speak for the gents here, but... given that my hometown team plays in the English league setup...

and the only other team I have anything more than a passing fancy for plays in the MLS system...

no.

in short.

sorry. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:30 am 
Knight

204 total thanks.
Say thanks

The team I really follow is Red Bull New York, my local MLS side. I have season tickets behind the goal in the supporters section. I follow Liverpool and Barcelona for non-US teams, but more than anything I just root for any (European) team with an American player on it.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 pm 
Duke

13,234 total thanks.
Say thanks

jch112 wrote:
Do you all follow spanish league as well or mostly, just the english league?

Just the English Leagues for me. Did follow Serie A for a while in the 90s but that was mainly as it was the only regular "free to air" football available in the UK.

Profile WWW